Proper on schedule, the eradicated queens sashay their method again into the workroom this week on “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” Season 3. We witnessed this again in “All Stars” Season 2’s “Revenge of the Queens,” which noticed the eradicated queens preventing to get again into the competitors. However in contrast to in that season, the place the one actual battle was a stunned Alyssa Edwards versus an offended Phi Phi O’Hara, almost each eradicated queen (save the patron saint of chill, Chi Chi DeVayne) has a bone to select with the queen who eradicated her.
Who gained every showdown? Let’s rapidly run them down.
ROUND 1: Thorgy Thor vs. Shangela (vs. Trixie Mattel)
That is the battle with essentially the most rigidity in it, largely as a result of Thorgy and Shangela are very several types of communicators, and saved slicing one another off. It additionally entails a really reticent Trixie, who continues to be paying for hanging up Thorgy’s note about Shangela in her workspace. Trixie largely needs it to cease, whereas Thorgy needs to clear the air, and Shangela needs to defend herself and her choice to ship Thorgy residence. It’s finally simply a number of noise.
Winner: Shangela, although I used to be tempted to say nobody. However Thorgy agrees that her drawback was being within the backside two, not being despatched residence, and Shangela didn’t put her there.
ROUND 2: Morgan McMichaels vs. BenDeLaCreme
Morgan’s beef with Ben comes down to 1 factor: She feels Ben was a hypocrite in speaking about eliminating the weakest competitor, however then sending her residence over Chi Chi. Whereas Ben momentarily tries to argue that Morgan was worse than Chi Chi in the course of the first episode’s selection present, Morgan rapidly shoots that down, and goes on the offensive. The result’s a really righteous Morgan and a really rattled Ben.
Winner: Morgan, because of an ideal combination of aggression and readability. Although she apologizes for stated aggression later, I truthfully thought she was completely in the best. Ben was hypocritical in eliminating Morgan, and the explanation it affected her a lot was as a result of deep down, I’m certain she is aware of she did contradict herself.
ROUND 3: Aja vs. Bebe Zahara Benet
Although she didn’t remember this confrontation in our chat, Aja did have the possibility to name Bebe out for not crediting her assist with Bebe’s Warhol Ball look. Bebe tries to roll her eyes at this drawback, and insists in her confessional that credit score wouldn’t have affected something. However Aja crops her heels and stands agency.
Winner: Aja, simply. This was such a straightforward drawback for Bebe to repair, and her unwillingness to see Aja’s facet is a foul look on her. She’s fortunate Aja didn’t come for her tougher.
ROUND 4: Kennedy Davenport vs. Milk
That is perhaps essentially the most private of the conflicts. Kennedy appears livid with Milk for discrediting her drag, and Milk’s insistence on understanding why Kennedy despatched her residence solely opens previous wounds. It’s an particularly dangerous look when Kennedy explains her decision-making, however Milk seemingly doesn’t pay attention and as a substitute insists Kennedy solely despatched Milk residence to avoid wasting Chi Chi.
Winner: Kennedy, nevertheless it’s not the cleanest win. She appears considerably insensitive to Milk as there are tears streaming down her face — although contemplating how a lot the mannequin queen has cried this season, I could be skeptical, too. Finally, Kennedy seems pissed, if rightfully so, whereas Milk simply appears oblivious.
After a sustained little bit of arguing — severely, the confrontations go on for 10 minutes — the queens lastly break off into their subgroups for the problem. The duty is a modified model of the season-ending rap problem from the final two seasons: Queens should write their very own verses to a track, then carry out them as a supergroup. The highest 5 type one staff, performing the Spice Ladies parody “Drag Up Your Life,” whereas the eradicated women carry out the Drag Race reference-heavy “Sitting on a Secret.”
A lot ado is made about Ben’s dour angle throughout recording with visitor decide Adam Lambert. She appears actually shaken by what’s occurred with Morgan, and questions whether or not this sort of drama is nice for her in any respect.
“Am I compromising my private beliefs about not desirous to be a part of pointless battle?” she asks whereas making ready for the runway. “[That’s] kinda been gnawing at me since even earlier than I bought right here. … Competitors itself is just not one thing I bought into this sport to be part of. I’m aggressive with myself.”
“All Stars” is a battle. I’ve stated beforehand that Ben appears good at “Drag Race” (and at drag as an entire), however doesn’t flourish on this format. It’s too poisonous for her; what somebody like Shangela thrives on solely makes Ben uncomfortable. She could also be an awesome drag queen, however she’s probably not a drag soldier. This battle isn’t good for her, and it’s been powerful to observe her get so overwhelmed up by it at the same time as she’s gained a document variety of challenges.
Talking of, the highest 5 are the profitable staff, and Ben wins high honors alongside Bebe. They’re each nice decisions, although I believe Trixie and Shangela followers might be irritated, contemplating they each slay as properly. However Bebe brings a weird vitality that’s enticing to the judges, whereas Ben wins on tenting up her goth, Wednesday Addams-esque character. Had Bebe not carried out properly on stage, or had Ben’s angle not improved after a come-to-Jesus discuss with Morgan, one might simply have imagined Trixie and Shangela profitable as a substitute. The one one who doesn’t carry out on the high of her potential is Kennedy, and even she’s not dangerous. She’s simply the worst of the 5.
Successful is a combined blessing for the highest two, although. Sadly, due to the problem’s relatively convoluted guidelines, they nonetheless must deliver again one of many eradicated queens, they usually nonetheless must ship residence certainly one of their teammates. It’s an odd setup, contemplating it means a member of the shedding staff is getting a reward, whereas a member of the profitable staff is being despatched residence. It does a quantity on Bebe and particularly Ben, too, as a result of they’re having hassle fathoming precisely what to do.
The lip sync is a implausible one, with all of the theatrics and belting to Deborah Cox’s “No one’s Speculated to Be Right here.” Even earlier than the lip sync, you’ll be able to see that Ben has a trick up her sleeve: “I’ve made my decisions. I really feel robust in my conviction about these decisions. I’ve to win this lip sync.” Certain sufficient, she does win, and the smile that flashes throughout her face is in contrast to something we’ve seen from her earlier than. It is a lady with a plan, and her spooky make-up solely ups the dramatic ante.
Ben chooses Morgan to return to the competitors, finishing the total circle of their arc. Now, the first-eliminated queen has one other likelihood to indicate her stuff, whereas Ben will get to repair a alternative deemed hypocritical and inconsistent. Frankly, it’s exhausting to think about Ben’s arc getting any higher than this.
However think about we’ll must, as a result of in a gag-worthy shocker, Ben chooses to get rid of herself. She was proper: She’s aggressive with herself, and nobody else. Fairly frankly, after profitable 5 challenges, nobody was going to beat her in “All Stars” Season 3. So as a substitute of creating them attempt, Ben does maybe essentially the most charitable factor attainable, and eliminates herself. It’s a gag, and by selecting to exit on her personal phrases, Ben has made a mark in contrast to something we’ve ever seen on “RuPaul’s Drag Race.” The battle is over for her. She has signed her treaty and located peace inside herself. She exits with no crown, however with all of the satisfaction she might need.
EPILOGUE: The Remaining Ideas
- So if the opposite staff gained, I assume the highest two would have lip-synced for his or her likelihood to remain, a la Tatianna and Alyssa Edwards in “Revenge of the Queens”? And the winner would have chosen which of the highest 5 to get rid of? We are able to assume, nevertheless it’s bizarre that the present itself doesn’t clarify it. Although it’s an honest problem that offers the queens an opportunity to indicate each their brains and efficiency expertise, the principles actually do really feel held along with paper clips and Scotch tape.
- Don’t thoughts me, I’m simply as soon as once more expressing my love and respect for Chi Chi, who makes clear she doesn’t wish to be introduced again. “I don’t wanna be the Roxxxy of All Stars 3,” she says. Self-aware icon, we stan, and so on.
- Additionally: Bless Chi Chi for lastly calling it what it’s on Milk, who looks like a good sport however lacks perspective. “Everyone praises him for being a scorching man, and I believe he kinda thinks that interprets into being a scorching Milk. Nevertheless it doesn’t.” Somebody needed to say it!
- Bebe would’ve completely gained the lip sync had she not eliminated her wig. That transfer truthfully feels essentially the most “Season 1” of her output on “All Stars” to date — a reminder that what was as soon as acceptable on “Drag Race” now not is.
- That is petty and finally not that important, however simply to be clear: Shangela, Kennedy, and Trixie should not within the backside three this week. They simply don’t win. Nobody refers to them as the underside three in the course of the course of the present. I’m saying that so nobody tries to make an argument in a few weeks that Shangela and Trixie have been within the backside twice, as a result of that’s inaccurate.
- Heaps to quibble with this week, however not the visitor judges! Adam Lambert and Emma Bunton are perfection. Adam’s work with the contestants throughout their recording session is assertive with out being aggressive. He genuinely will get an increase out of a few them. I’d like to see him again once more.
- Hand to God, I’d say the staff of eradicated queens should win the problem. The selection between the 2 feels fairly arbitrary, to be frank, and I believe their lyrics and efficiency are stronger on the entire.
- Truthfully, this episode is a disappointment. “Revenge of the Queens” is without doubt one of the greatest TV episodes of all time, of any style. This seems like a shallow retread with a Handmaid’s Story theme slapped onto it. Had been it not for Ben’s choice, I don’t assume there’d be a lot to speak about, besides how arbitrary a few of the choices really feel. I’ve been extra constructive typically about “All Stars” Season Three than most, however after this swing-and-a-miss, I’m beginning to develop stressed. The season has two extra episodes to ship an actual, real twist that impresses. I hope it makes good on the promo picture theme and offers us gold.
“RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” returns for its penultimate episode subsequent Thursday, March 8, at Eight p.m. Jap on VH1.